What is the name and location of the volcanic eruption?
Indonesia’s Mount Merapi erupted on December 3, 2023, killing 22 people. The eruption was on Mount Mearapi near the city of Yogyakarta in West Sumatra, Indonesia (1)(2).
Victims were hikers near the crater at the time of the eruption.
Which cities or areas are affected by the volcanic eruption?
The eruption affected the area nearest Mount Marapi in West Sumatra, a large island in the Indonesian archipelago. The largest nearby city is coastal Padang.
Air quality in West Sumatra is moderate and may currently be impacted by volcanic ash.
What is the current containment status of the volcanic eruption?
A 9,800-foot volcanic ash cloud rose from the eruption and is affecting breathing in the immediate area. Apart from hikers who were in immediate danger, no other evacuations have been reported.
Are there any evacuation orders or alerts in place?
There were 75 hikers in the area of Mount Merapi at the time of the eruption; 49 hikers were evacuated.
How can I protect myself from volcanic smoke?
Always plan ahead to protect yourself from a volcanic eruption.
- Get a free air quality app for real-time air quality alerts and forecasts.
- Shut doors and windows and set the HVAC to recirculate mode.
- Run a high-performance air purifier to filter volcanic smoke.
- Contribute to your community’s outdoor air quality data.
- Stay indoors; if you do need to go outdoors, wear a KN95/FFP2 mask.