What is the name and location of the wildfire?
There is a large wildfire burning in forests northwest of Athens, Greece on July 19, 2023 (1)(2)(3). Additional fires have burned south-east of Athens and are now contained.
Which cities or areas are affected by the wildfire?
Air quality across the region is impacted, including in Athens.
What is the current containment status of the wildfire?
The wildfire northwest of Athens remains uncontained. The fire front extended over 8 km (5 miles). Firefighters, assisted by volunteers, fire engines, aircraft, and helicopters, are battling the fire.
Are there any evacuation orders or alerts in place?
Evacuation orders were issued for residents in the affected area, particularly in Mandra. Police assisted in the evacuation of over 300 people.
Authorities urged residents to head to Elefsina, indicating a need for evacuation.
How can I protect myself from wildfire smoke?
Always plan ahead to protect yourself from wildfire smoke.
- Get a free air quality app for real-time air quality alerts and forecasts.
- Shut doors and windows and set the HVAC to recirculate mode.
- Run a high-performance air purifier to filter wildfire smoke.
- Contribute to your community’s outdoor air quality data.
- Stay indoors; if you do need to go outdoors, wear a KN95/FFP2 mask.